SF Cable Car Route Llamas, Alpacas and Mutants Fall Colors Mardi Himal Trail Golden Gate Zabriskie Point Prayer Flags Sunset Chinchero at Sunset Annapurna South in the Early Morning Fish Market Cementerio de Trenes de Uyuni Night Cats Sunset From Moro Rock Very rare deserted street Half Dome at Sunset Machhapuchhre Sunset from Marshall Beach, SF Grafitti The Danube at Night Annapurna South Under the Stars Mardi Himal Trail Rolling Fog Prepping to FIght Boudhanath Stupa Sheepherders and Annapurna South Cumhuriyet Anıtı Phewa Boats Alamo Square Bluebird Skies Stars Over Annapurna South White Mountains Sunset Fog Rolling In Half Dome at Sunset Vocano Scarred Mountains The Golden Gate at Night Old Man in Siding Twilight Fog Market Flags Bodie Eastern Sierras Under Shadow Snow and Shadows Temple Statue Marin Headlands Sand Dunes Hong Kong from the Peak Bay Area Sunrise Yosemite Fall Leaves Monument Valley Green River Canyons at Sunrise The Blue Mosque Buildings and a Bridge Cropped Crosswalk Headfirst Pisac Hillside The Buttermilks Rooster Fights at Forest Camp Resting Zabriskie Point Photographers Annapurna South

Around Ubud

October 10, 2010 —

On my second day in Ubud, I actually set an alarm to make sure I woke up early. I wanted to head to the local market early, when the locals were in full force, when they were selling vegetables, fruit and meat, before they switched to Bintang shirts and handicrafts of dubious quality. In other words, get there when no other tourists were there.

Fresh Eggs Fresh Eggs

I got to the market by 6:15 and it was packed with vendors selling chickens, crates of eggs, vegetables I'd never seen before, all kinds of fruit and raw spices, flowers for offerings as well as fresh and dried fish. In Balinese spice recipes, there are almost always four roots that are used: turmeric (it looks weird in it's root form - kind of like ginger), ginger, lesser galangal and greater galangal. I've never heard of galangal before, but it's a root in the ginger family. The lesser and greater varieties definitely taste different too.

Chilies and Garlic Chilies and Garlic

Once I had wandered around the market enough, I took off for the stereotypical Ubud visitor activity: go to some rice fields at dawn. Many also go at sunset, but it had been raining a lot in the evenings, so I figured dawn would have better luck. I was rewarded with great views.

Rice Field Rice Field

If you've ever been to Bali, you won't have forgotten ...

read more

Settling In In Ubud

October 10, 2010 —

Arriving in Ubud was definitely a surprise. After taking backroads through towns, villages and cities, I was caught off guard when I got to a sign that welcomed me to Ubud. I thought I still had several more kilometers to go. I should have known however, as I kept passing tons of artist and woodcrafter shops. That should have been my first clue I was closer than I thought.

Rain in Ubud Rain in Ubud

Once there, I sought out a place to stay. Based on someone I know who previously stayed in Ubud, I went first to the Khrisna Guesthouse (sometimes referred to as the Krisna Guesthouse as well). They only had one room (out of six) available for one night. It was more than I'm used to spending, close to $20 USD / night, but I decided to splurge. They did have hot water. I mean, taking a hot shower every once in a while has got to be worth a little extra money, right?

Khrisna Guest House Khrisna Guest House

The extra money was definitely worth it. I had a private balcony overlooking thick palms, banana trees other unknown named trees, bamboo and a small creek I could hear. There was black tea every day between 4 and 5 as well as great breakfasts every morning. The owner was really nice and the day manager was very friendly, accommodating and went out of his way to make sure I was doing what I wanted to do. It turned out that the room available for one night didn ...

read more


October 05, 2010 —

Instead of waiting to leave at 8am for Tulamben from Lovina, I decided to get up before sunrise and start off early, catching some good light along the way. I left my hotel before 6am and started East. After catching the sunrise along coastal rice paddies, I took a quick trip inland to see the Git Git waterfalls. I arrived there before 7am, which meant that I was also there before any locals came to set up their tourist trap stands or even the people selling and collecting tickets. I made the 400m walk to the falls in peace and silence, which has to be a completely different experience than later in the day when droves of tourists in busses and "transport" services arrive.

Random Spot Along the Road Random Spot Along the Road

The road between Lovina and Tulamben proved to be more rough than my previous treks, which I'm attributing to the fact that no tourists travel that route. I think that most people get to Tulamben from the East coast, instead of coming East across the North shore. In any case, I enjoyed the ride, arriving in time to shop around at dive shops before finding a great deal and a one-on-one dive with a divemaster.

Inside the Liberty Inside the Liberty

Tulamben is famous for two dive areas. First, there is a WWII ship, the Liberty, which was a US cargo ship sunk by Japanese submarines in WWII as it tried to pass through the Lombok straight. The ship has since been left ...

read more

Lovina and Pulau Menjangan

October 05, 2010 —

With the ride to Lovina going quickly, my accomodations setup and a dive trip planned, I explored the town a bit.

I was actually quite turned off by the town. Though it was in a beautiful setting, I found the locals who were selling to be especially aggressive. For example, while going from place to place to find a hotel to stay at, people who worked for other hotels would follow me around on their bikes, waiting for me to leave the one I was currently checking out to try and get me to follow them to their hotel. That really bothered me, and prevented me from staying at two hotels. Though I did cave and go with the dive company that displayed the same tactics.

Lovina Sunset Lovina Sunset

After talking with an owner, I found that Lovina was coming off the end of it's high season. The high season is July and August, when students aren't in school and people are traveling from Europe for the summer. I can't imagine what I'd be like in February or March. I will say that the area has great sunsets.

Huge Coral Everywhere Huge Coral Everywhere

The next day, I dove Pulau Menjangan. This spot just about lived up the hype. The coral was huge and colorful, the fish were everywhere, we saw a ray, a turtle and got some great time underwater in. My only complaint was that the winds had decreased visibility a little, so there was a lot of 'stuff' floating around, hampering me from ...

read more

Exploring Bali by Motorbike

October 04, 2010 —

I decided to leave Kuta on the 28th of September. I woke up early, ate breakfast and had tea, packed my backpack, left a small bag with my hotel, monkeyed my backpack onto my bike, and I was off.

Motorbiking Motorbiking

I decided that I was going to make the long motorbike journey to the North West corner of Bali to go diving. Instead of going the quick route over the montains, I wanted to see more of the country. I had marked out the route on Google Maps, and then, using a handy bookmarklet, I downloaded that route as a GPX route I could see on my GPS. This ended up being completely crucial to get out of the Kuta and Depansar area.

Bicycle and Rice Fields Bicycle and Rice Fields

However, once out of the big city areas, I was quickly into long sections of rice terracing tracing down from the mountains right up to the edge of the ocean. I wish I had taken more pictures, but there were too many times I just didn't want to stop. The ride was so peaceful and enjoyable, I couldn't bring myself to stop many times. Motorbiking along curvy, smooth roads as they traversed amazing landscapes through jungle, rice terraces, cliffs and breaks over the ocean, small villages and communities, made for a great trip. So even though it took me almost 5 hours to get to the North shore, it was worth it.

Nasi Babi Gulingread more

Kuta, Bali

October 04, 2010 —

After the familiar of Singapore, I took a quick evening flight to Bali. I arrived to some minor rain and, after purchasing my $25 Indonesian Visa, heading through immigration, I got a taksi (how it's spelled in Bali) to take me to Kuta, the location of one of the most famous beaches in Bali. I'm not sure why, but I decided to not keep my GPS on for the taxi ride, and believed the driver when he told me we arrived at the destination. Well, to make a long story shorter, he dropped me off half-way to Kuta; I had to get another taxi to take the rest of the distance. This was a total bummer, as every other Balinese has been extremely kind and friendly. I am not sure why this particular taxi driver screwed me, but I've since put that experience behind me.

Surboard Rentals Surboard Rentals

After finding a place to stay, I promptly signed up for 5 nights at my hotel. The next day I rented a motorbike for two weeks and a surfboard for my time in Kuta. The next several days had me surfing, eating, reading and exploring the area on my motorbike.

Sunset Clouds Sunset Clouds

Every night, I'd head down to the beach, along with countless locals, tourists, expats and dogs to enjoy the dramaticsunsets. While there, low tide was always around 4pm, so more of the sand was exposed, which was a wet hard sand that the local children would play soccer games on.

read more


September 30, 2010 —

Bali Motorcycle Road-tripping Bali Motorcycle Road-tripping

Here's the motorbike I rented that I've been using to explore Bali the past several days. Instead of succumbing to the constant calls of "transport," I can go wherever I please for the low, low price of $4 USD / day.

Pictures from Bali

September 28, 2010 —

Beach Sunset Beach Sunset

A few pictures from Bali are now up. Check them out.

Pictures From Singapore

September 27, 2010 —

Singapore Opera House Singapore Opera House

I've posted several of my pictures from Singapore on my previous posts. But here's a link to all of the pictures.

Walking Around Singapore

September 26, 2010 —

Since I now had two days in Singapore, I got to create a new plan for what I was going to do there. After checking into my hostel, showering and changing into lighter clothes, I took the MRT to the Harborfront where I went to hike up Mt. Faber before sunset. Mt. Faber is the tallest "mountain" in Singapore. At 344 feet, it is quite a monster. There is a nice forested path that goes up to the top, where there is a lookout that gives you a pretty good view of a number of areas in the city. At that time of day, there were a ton of people there with the same idea as me.

Lots of Cranes Lots of Cranes

After the hike down, I headed East to a seafood center where I got some of the famous Chili Crab. The crabs are imported from Sri Lanka and then cooked in a delicious spicy chili sauce. Last time I was in Singapore, I ended up getting pepper crab, which is supposed to be spicier, but isn't as saucy. At that point, I was pretty tired, and headed to sleep.

Chili Crab Chili Crab

Despite a huge time difference, I slept reasonably well, waking up once, and then going to back to sleep to wake up at 8am. I ate a breakfast of roti prata and teh tarik and then did a long walk around Little India, checking out some temples along the way. Once I had worked up a hunger again, I headed to the Katong district ...

read more